Thursday, February 9, 2012

I kin't figger out how ta re'd dis

       This week's readings were a bit of a stretch for me to be honest. I found it difficult understanding the dialogue that Chesnutt was using. I even tried to figure out a way to read it that I could better follow; I tried things like trying to translate it into formal English as I read and trying to develop the accent to make it more fluent. They were both failed attempts so I just took my time and took breaks in between readings as to avoid frustration.
       Though the dialogue threw me for a loop, I did enjoy the change of pace and the overall message of the stories. "Dave's Neckliss" was particularly unique because nearly all of it was in dialogue and it took on an interesting point of view by, in a way, poking fun at the white characters in the story. He made the white characters seem gullible and at first presents them as giving by introducing the scene with them offering Julius some ham. It all seem very charitable until the author mentions that as Julius sat at the table, the couple left the room to the porch where they watched  him eat 6 slices, "(I kept count of them from a lazy curiosity to see how much he could eat)" (Chesnutt 501). They wouldn't eat with or around him, nor would they let him eat in comfort without being looked upon. Julius recognizes this and acts accordingly, allowing even a single tear to roll down his cheek. I think this instance is when the story took on a bit of humor that I did not see as being a part of the story.

1 comment:

  1. Stevie, the dialect is hard for everyone; it sounds as though you took the right approach. The comic interplay between Julius and John does help to offset the tragedy of Dave's story.

    ReplyDelete